We face hundreds of chemicals in a day. From our washroom to garage many we require various chemicals. However, these chemicals are uncomfortable and harmful.
But few of us may know how to handle them safely. And many of us know how to store those chemicals and how to use them. Children get harmed easily with air freshener, room cleaner, sanitizer, batteries. People are less aware of the toxicity of chemicals. Here you can know which chemicals are dangerous and Chemical Safety.
Some harmful chemicals we use in daily life and safety tips:
In Bathroom: Toilet cleaners, Drain cleaners
Toilet Cleaners are acid-based chemicals. It contains sodium hypochlorite, hydrochloric acid, and bleach-like substances that cause eye irritation. You may feel a breathing problem if directly inhaled.
Drain Cleaners contain toxic chemicals such as lye (Sodium hydroxide), Sulphuric Acid, hydrochloric acid, and bleach. It is dangerous if swallowed or inhaled. Also, it causes skin and eye irritation if contacted.
For safety, keep your eye on distance or wear goggles, wear a mask, use an exhaust fan for proper ventilation. Use latex gloves while working with toilet cleaners and drain cleaners. And if splashed on the skin, wash it quickly with clean water.
In the kitchen: Oven cleaners, Dishwashing bar/detergent
Oven Cleaners have lye which can burn skin. It can cause severe tissue damage. Fatal if swallowed.
Dishwashing Bar/Detergent is mainly phosphate-based. It helps to grow algae, phytoplankton. And ingestion of these algae in large amounts will kill people. Some detergent contains more harmful chemicals like anti-bacterial, preservative which harms the skin.
Safety methods: Always wear an apron in the kitchen and use latex gloves while washing dishes. Keep oven cleaners and dishwashers away from children.
In the Living room: Air Fresheners, Sanitizer
Sanitizer contains hydrogen peroxide and ethanol. These chemicals are harsh to the skin. Also, cause eye irritation.
Air Fresheners have formaldehyde, petroleum distillates, p-dichlorobenzene, and aerosols in them. These chemicals cause cancer and brain damage. It will irritate the throat if inhaled and is highly flammable. Also, cause death if eaten by human or pets.
To be safe, do not spray air fresheners in the open fire. Only spray it in an open ventilated area. Keep it far from the reach of children and pets. And wash your hands with soaps and water for 20 seconds instead of using sanitizer.
In Utility Room: Insecticides, All-purpose cleaners, Window and glass cleaners
Insecticides not only kill insects but are also harmful to human beings. Imiprothrin and permethrin cause nausea, vomiting, nasal stuffiness, sneezing, and asthma.
All-purpose cleaners contain detergent, disinfectant, and grease-cutting agents. They can be highly dangerous if swallowed.
Window and glass cleaners’ base ingredients are ammonia and isopropanol. It causes eye, skin, and throat irritation.
For safety, do not mix two or more cleaners. It is because they will produce chloramine vapor. And it causes significant breathing problems. Wear latex gloves and goggles while using window & glass cleaners. Wear a mask when spraying insecticides.
Batteries in the garage, batteries for any toys, or remotes are harmful and hazardous. So we must be aware of the effect of daily using products and chemicals because safety is our priority. And Chemical Safety helps to live a healthy life.