Omega-3 is an essential nutrient like vitamin A and vitamin D. And has many benefits, especially for heart and brain health. Omega-3 or Ѡ-3 fatty acids are of three types. One is ALA (α-linolenic acids), 2nd is EPA (Eicosapentanoic acid) and 3rd one is DHA (Docosahexanoic acid).
A 2021’s study concludes that a 1% increase of omega-3 in the blood increases five years of lifespan. However, there are many other kinds of research and debate on its effectiveness on heart health. Besides this, it has many advantages in our daily life.
Risks of Omega-3 deficiency:
We get ALA (α-linolenic acids) from vegetables or plant sources. However, EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) are in marine fish or fish oil. Not everyone knows about it and end up in deficiency of Omega-3. Some health risks you may feel if you are deficient in this essential nutrient.
- Joint pain and stiffness: If you lack or are deficient in the nutrient, you will feel joint pain, joint stiffness, or arthritic problems.
- Depression: Lack of those fatty acids causes feeling depressed. One analysis found that daily intake improves depression symptoms.
- Skin Dryness: In a study, it gets to know that a daily intake of 4gm of EPA reduces sunburn risks and sensitivity. Lacking the nutrients, you will observe dryness and sensitivities on your skin. Not only this, but also your eyes may get dry.
- Hair Growth: If your hair feels excessively dry, brittle, and not growing, it must be a deficiency of Omega-3 fatty acids.
Eight Advantages of Omega-3 Fatty Acids in your daily diet:
- The essential nutrient slower the development of plaque in arteries also reduces the chances of heart disease.
- Reduces triglycerides
- Improve Brain health of the child during pregnancy and early life.
- Also, it reduces symptoms of ADHD in children.
- It reduces fat in the liver.
- Improving bone and joint health also reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- Improves sleep health.
- Good for skin and hair health.
Some Food Sources to get Omega-3:
Plant Source: You shall get it from some nuts like walnuts, almonds, etc. Also, by including some seeds like flax seeds, chia seeds, you can increase the intake. Some veggies like edamame and spinach help you.
Animal Source: Marine fishes are the crucial source of EPA and DHA. Fish like Mackerel, Tuna, Salmon, herring, sardines are rich sources of Omega-3
Is Omega-3 supplement effective?
Yes, if your diet has a deficiency, you can take Omega-3 supplements. However, we must balance the quantity of daily intake. And it must not be more than 3-4g per day.
Risks of taking a high amount of Omega-3:
- Intake of a high amount increases the risk of prostate cancer.
- Also, taking a high amount will start blood thinning.
- High doses can reduce the level of triglycerides.