The sugar present in the blood is known as blood sugar. For a human body, the quantity of blood sugar should be 70-130 mg/dL or less than 140 mg/dL. And if the blood sugar level is 200 mg/dL or more than that after 2-3 hours of eating a meal, it will consider as diabetes. Important to mention, a reading of 140-199 mg/dL indicates pre-diabetes. Blood sugar levels less or more than normal are a clear indication of medical conditions.
The condition in which a high blood sugar level is observed, called Hyperglycemia. And the low sugar level is known as Hypoglycemia.
Blood Sugar Level Chart
|Unit (mg/dL)||Fasting||After Eating||2-3 hours After Eating|
|Type 2 Diabetes||126+||220-300||200+|
Symptoms of fluctuation in Blood Sugar Level :
Fluctuations of blood sugar levels are the reason for discomfort in health. Symptoms one may see when blood sugar level becomes high are:
- Thirsty mouth
- Shortness of breath
And with low blood sugar level one may feel:
Reasons fluctuations in Blood Sugar level :
People with diabetes may often face fluctuations in blood sugar levels. However, every individual may struggle with blood sugar levels if not supervised. Certain factors included imbalance of blood sugar, are as follows:
- Food Choice : Beverages like black tea or coffee boost sugar levels up. Foods rich in carbohydrates increases blood sugar levels. Soft drinks, energy drinks, and alcohol also cause blood sugar to rise. After some hours of drinking alcohol, sugar levels can decrease. And the condition is risky for diabetic people.
- Physical Activity : Slow physical activity or zero physical activity means slow calorie burn. Therefore it will gain weight and increase blood sugar level.
- Stress : If you are stressed and nervous, your body releases hormones. And those hormones can increase blood sugar level. It is common in people with type 2 diabetes.
- Medication : Medicines for colds, asthma, arthritis boosts up blood sugar level. It also includes blood pressure medicine, diuretics, and some antidepressant can cause of blood sugar rise.
- Smoking : Smoking makes your body resistant to insulin which leads to a boost in blood sugar.
Treatment and Remedies :
- Lifestyle Changing : Healthy eating habit and regular exercising is the key of healthy living. And for diabetic people, it is no exception. Moreover, regular exercising lowers blood sugar level and increase sensuality for insulin. One should eat more fiber, protein, and good fats instead of sugar-based food.
- Monitoring Blood Sugar and Insulin : For pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes, people need to monitor blood sugar and take proper medication is required as per the doctor’s recommendation. Regular Insulin therapy for type 1 or type-2 diabetes may help to manage your blood sugar level.
- Stop Smoking : Smoking can raise your blood pressure as well as blood sugar level. Therefore, do not smoke to control blood sugar levels.
- Proper Medication : Regular check-ups, tests, and proper medication help to lower risks.