Brinjal is also known as eggplant. Many people have watched a bush-like plant hold shiny purple, light green, violet-colored fruit is hanging in it. The fruit is spongy and absorbent.
Nowadays people can easily grow brinjal on their balcony or the roof.
And the plant is related to the tomato, chili, pepper, and potato. Though it has a low amount of macronutrients and micronutrients, it has several benefits. Therefore, everyone should have this vegetable on daily basis.
Nutrients in Brinjal:
The amount of nutrients in 100 gm.(25 calories) of the vegetable gives us
- 1 gram protein
- 0.2-grams fat
- 6-gram carbohydrates
- 3-gram fiber
Also, we will get Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin K.
Moreover, micronutrients like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.
Nutritional Benefits of Brinjal:
- Antioxidants: Brinjal contains a high amount of antioxidants. Vitamin A and Vitamin C are the antioxidants it contains. And it has the pigment anthocyanin, which is also an antioxidant. These antioxidants help remove free radicals from our bodies. Also, help to prevent many chronic diseases. Here, anthocyanin helps prevent heart disease and cancer.
- Control Blood Sugar: Brinjal contains a good amount of fiber that helps lower the blood sugar level. In addition, a polyphenol in this vegetable reduces the absorption of sugar and helps increase insulin secretion.
- Helps in losing weight: Low in calories and high in fiber, this pigmented vegetable is a healthy addition to your diet if you want to lose weight. Moreover, fiber-rich food makes us feel full long time; therefore it does not allow the intake of extra food. In this way, we get helped.
- Reduce cholesterol: Rich in fiber this vegetable reduces bad cholesterol. And also reduce the risk of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Help in reducing cancer risk: Polyphenol and anthocyanin assist in the protection from cancer. Anthocyanin protects cells from damage and thus helps prevent the growth of the tumor. Also, it prevents cancer from spreading.
- Boosts Cognitive function: Instead of fighting cancer, anthocyanin helps prevent neuroinflammation. Moreover, increases blood flow and helps ward off memory loss.
- Nasunin in Eggplant binds with iron in cells and removes it. Therefore, people who have extra iron in their bodies can be helped. However, people with low iron levels should not consume much of it.
- The vegetable also has the chemical Solanine. This Solanine is toxic and leads to vomiting or nausea if it is eaten in a big amount.
- It is rare but many people have allergies to vegetables. They may have rashes, swelling face, itching, and a hoarse voice. So, people who know they are allergenic to eggplant must avoid eating it.
- Oxalate in Brinjal increases the risk of kidney stones. Thus one must limit the consumption of vegetables.
Brinjal maybe sometime bitter. But a proper recipe will give you taste with health. Despite some risk factors the vegetable has many benefits. Therefore, add daily to eat healthily and become healthy.