At some point in time, we all have experienced a scalding sensation raising from our abdomen and goes up to the chest and then throat. This is often referred to as an ‘acidity problem’ or more commonly ‘Heart Burn’. A lot of people suffer from it for consuming food with high-fat content and falling asleep immediately after eating dinner. We are aware that whatever we eat reaches our stomach through the Esophagus and the gastric glands in our stomach emit acid to metabolize the food. But if these glands emit excessive acid than required in the process then we end up feeling a burning sensation. This is exactly called the ‘Acidity Problem’.
In different terms, acidity is known as reflux which is discriminated by severe heartburn in the lower portion of the chest, it is a common condition that occurs when acid in the stomach back-flows into the food pipe. We don’t realize that our indiscriminate lifestyles are the reasons why we suffer from acidity problems.
Why Acidity Comes
Excessive production of acid in the stomach by Gastric glands causes acidity problems. Some factors are furnished below.
1. Irregular Food Intake
- Eating disorderly
- Eating right before sleeping
- Eating excessive food
- addiction to spicy food
- High consumption of table salt
- Low in dietary fiber diet
2. Obsessive Consumption of below mentioned
- Drinking excessive tea, coffee, carbonated drinks, and soft drinks
- Over spicy food
- Food rich in fat such as pizza, doughnuts, and fried food
3. Adverse effects of Certain Temporary Medicines
It includes medications such as
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Medicines for high blood pressure
- Depression and anxiety medications
4. Stomach Problem
Stomach problems like Gastroesophageal Reflux disease, peptic ulcers, tumours etc.
5. Several Other Causes for Acidity:
- Obsessive intake of non-vegetarian food
- Limitless smoking
- Excessive stress
- Insufficient sleep
- No physical exercise
- Excessive drinking of alcohol
Acidity symptoms may differ from person to person. Things that cause gas can create acidity and symptoms of acidity are almost the same. While the most common acidity syndromes are pain in the chest accompanied by a scalding sensation in the lower portion of the chest, But, there are other symptoms that are unusual.
Some of the common symptoms of acidity are below.
- Severe scalding sensation and stomach pain
- Stinking breath
- Throat burn and pain
- Swallowing becomes difficult
- Rapid and repeated burping or hiccups
- Chest pain accompanied by burn
- Bitter-tasting acid and mouth becomes sour
12 At-Home Easy Remedies to Control Acidity
Acidity is surely disappointing and leaves an immense effect on our social life. Some simple items can be treated as easy at-home remedies that not only provide quick relief from acidity problems but can also dispel acidity from our life.
1. Cold Milk – Drinking cold milk is believed to be the best way to overpower acidity.
2. Coconut Water – It is rich in electrolytes present in coconut water can balance out acid emission.
3. Black Cumin Seeds – Chewing raw cumin seeds helps us get relief.
4. Lukewarm Water – Acidity can be checked by drinking lukewarm water on an empty stomach in the morning and at bedtime.
5. Cardamom – Regular basis eating of cardamom can also give us relief.
6. Watermelon Juice – For an instant remission a glass of watermelon juice is wonderful.
7. Ginger – Chewing raw ginger helps us prevent acidity.
8. Cloves – Cloves are very effective in controlling acidity, gastric irritability, indigestion, and nausea.
9. Banana – Taking milk and banana together can prevent acidity
10.Papaya – Papaya is rich in papain enzyme that reduces acidity.
11.Ajwain – Ajwain is believed to be effective.
12. Turmeric – Turmeric is a magic spice to remove acidity.