Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis around the world. The problem occurs when the protective cartilage around the bone wears down. Many reasons are responsible for the disease. But before reading more about problems and prevention, let us know the mechanism behind the occurrence of disease.
What is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is also known as a degenerative joint disease (DJD). Joint is when two bones come together. And cartilage is the protective tissue that covers the end of the bones. In this disease (OA-Osteoarthritis) the cartilage wears down and the joint of the bone starts rubbing. Also, the bone become less shock-absorbing is the benefits of cartilage.
This continuous rubbing of two bones results in swelling, pain, stiffness, decreased ability to move, and sometimes the formation of bone spurs. Additionally, bone spurs are the hard bumps of bones that appear in joints.
What are the problems and symptoms of Osteoarthritis?
The most common symptoms are as follows:
- Joint Pain
- Loss of flexibility
- Reduce motion
- Discomfort when pressing the affected area
- Bone spurs
- Clicking sound while moving joints.
What are the causes of Osteoarthritis?
Age is the most common cause of the disease. However, many other causes include the occurrence of OA disease.
- Past bone injury, dislocated joint, Ligament injury or torn cartilage can cause OA.
- Obesity or weight gain
- Joint Malformation
- Poor posture
- Genetics or heredity
What is the best treatment for osteoarthritis?
There is no total cure for OA. Treatments can only reduce symptoms. However, the disease is largely dependent on symptom management. Medical treatments, as well as lifestyle changes, include:
- Medications such as oral pain reliever, topical pain reliever, OTC products, Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID), and other doctor recommended medicines can reduce the symptoms and relieve the pain.
- Exercise is crucial for the treatment of OA. Exercising improves flexibility, muscle strength, and stability. Swimming, water aerobics, and low-impact strength training can decrease pain and disabilities related to OA. But we must avoid excessive exercise. It is suitable to learn exercise from a physiotherapist.
- Obesity or overweight stress on joints, and that prevents OA along with help increase symptoms. Weight management will better help improve the disease condition.
- Hot and cold treatment cans relieve pain temporarily. One can reduce the symptoms by taking a hot water bath or hot & cold compressions.
- Surgery is the option for significant OA. And not all people need it. But, the surgery helps with joint replacements techniques. Moreover, surgery has its risks.
How to prevent osteoarthritis?
Age and genetics are unchangeable. However, we can prevent other causes by changing lifestyles. To change our lifestyle, we must look at these 5 tips as follows:
- Protect your body: You are an athlete, an office goer, or a homemaker, wear suitable shoes that do not impact your heels, muscles, and knees. Also, do not do work for a long time. Make sure to take a rest a while.
- Manage your weight: Manage your weight, and keep it perfect. Rapid weight loss and obesity both can damage bones. Therefore, managing moderate weight depended on gender and height.
- Eat Right: Eat nutritious food that inhibits all nutrients your body requires. And must eat fruits and vegetables daily.
- Diabetes Check: If you are a diabetic person, must track your blood sugar level. A high level of blood sugar increases the disease risk.
- Sleep Well: Take enough relaxation. And help rejuvenate your body.