What is Thyroid?
- The thyroid is a small organ situated low in the front neck. You can see the butterfly shape of it. The thyroid lies between Adam’s apple and windpipe. You cannot feel your thyroid when in its usual size. It is brownish-red in color, rich in blood vessels. Nerves which are crucial for the voice is also pass through the thyroid. The thyroid is a gland. In addition, you have glands throughout your whole body. And those glands help in releasing substances that are necessary for a specific function. The thyroid gland releases two hormones. The main hormone is thyroxine(T3), another hormone is triiodothyronine(T4).
It may click in your mind, what does the thyroid do by releasing hormones?
- Thyroxine hormone controls metabolism, growth, and development in your body. When your thyroid works appropriately it releases the right amount of hormone. And the hormone maintains metabolism.
The pituitary gland in our brain supervises all the balance of hormones. Now, if the pituitary gland senses a lack of thyroid hormone or a high level of hormone, it will adjust the condition with its hormone. And this hormone is called Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).
What are the diseases related to thyroid hormone? And what are the symptoms?
If the gland works unusually you can find problems in your body. And a common problem many of you are facing is hypothyroidism.
- Hypothyroidism: In this situation, the thyroid gland stops making enough hormones. And the symptoms may vary from person to person. You may feel fatigued; have weight gains, dry skin, or constipation.
- Hyperthyroidism: The thyroid gland secrets more hormones than usual. It also affects metabolism. The disease is also known as Grave’s Disease. Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism may also vary. It includes weight loss, rapid heart rate, diarrhea, sweating, and nervousness.
- Goiter: Goiter is a term for thyroid gland swelling. It happens because of iodine deficiency. And it is harmless.
- Thyroiditis: In this case, hyperthyroidism becomes extremely high that it causing severe illness.
- Thyroid Cancer: Thyroid cancer is rare cancer. And this cancer is curable.
What are the thyroid symptoms in females?
♦ Some common symptoms in the female body caused by thyroid imbalance are as follows.
Common Symptoms for Hypothyroidism in females:
- Hair Loss
- Lack of Sex Drive
- Cold Intolerance
- Fatigue or Tiredness
Common Symptoms for Hyperthyroidism in females:
- Excessive Weight loss
- Muscle Weakness
- Goiter or swelling of the thyroid gland
- Menstrual cycles in women affected by hyperthyroidism
- Heavy, light, or irregular periods are the symptoms in females that are effects of thyroid disease. Also, some psychological issues like irritation, anxiety, sleep disorder, or depression include the symptoms.
How to Diagnose Thyroid Diseases or Thyroid Imbalance?
- Some symptoms can indicate that you are facing thyroid imbalance. However, it is always good to take an expert’s advice. An expert or doctor will diagnose your symptoms through a proper test.
The common test for T3 or T4 imbalance is a blood test. The doctor may also prescribe TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) test. Important to note, an imbalance of TSH indicates either Hypothyroidism or Hyperthyroidism. Some other tests include MRI, CT scan, and Thyroid Biopsy. The doctor suggests a thyroid biopsy to diagnose Thyroid cancer.
When to visit a doctor for thyroid disease treatment?
♦ Treatment of any thyroid condition depends on a severity of health issues. Specialist Doctor may prescribe medications, surgery, or radiation therapy. It is important to tell your doctor if you are already taking medicines for:
- The Blood-thinning drug
- The heart drug
- Supplements included magnesium, aluminum iron or soy
Thyroid diseases are common in adults. Early identification can cure any kind of thyroid disease. Intake proper diet with exact nutritional value is suggested. Yoga and exercise also help cure disease condition.